LOWER ELEMENTARY PROGRAM
AT A GLANCE
- Classrooms: Purple Door, Green Door, and Aqua Door
- Teacher student ratio: 1 Teacher for each 12-14 students.
- Ages: 6 years to 9 years of age
- Hours: 8:30 to 3:00pm.
- After school care available until 5:30.
- Our multi-age classrooms are nurturing environments that encourage intellectual, social, physical, creative and moral development.
- Children spend 3 years in one home room.
- The opportunity for students to work together and develop socialization skills while building self-confidence, independence, self-motivation, and respect for themselves and others is built-in to our classroom structure.
- We use positive discipline which encourages to children to become partners in their personal and academic growth.
- Each child gets individual attention from the teacher and receives on-going evaluations of his work. The child receives advice and direction during this personal time with the teacher or guide. The teacher determines what needs to be done in more depth or what additional work should follow and guides the child to the appropriate source.
- Children work cooperatively with others in a multi-age setting that develops a sense of community. The three years that children spend in the same classroom help foster a sense of belonging and comfort with peers and teachers.
- Children are free to work in groups to complete their daily curriculum and when working on projects of their own choosing. They practice problem-solving methods within their small groups which aids in them in becoming effective community members.
- Our lessons and materials encourage children to think abstractly and to use their imagination through a variety of approaches and open-ended exploration .
- Work with the Montessori hands-on materials which put abstract ideas into concrete form allow children to develop mastery in a variety of curricular areas.
- The program encourages personal goal setting which allows children to be self-disciplined and self-directed.
- Math and Geometry
- Writing including report writing and creative writing
- Social Studies
- History and anthropology
- Biological and Physical Sciences
- Field Trips
- Buddy Classrooms (elementary students mentor younger students)
- Performance/Public Speaking Skills
- Specialist led classes in Spanish, Music, Art, and PE
- Library time
- Standardized Test once a year starting in the third year of Lower Elementary
TYPICAL LOWER ELEMENTARY SCHEDULE
- Montessori Work time
- Individual snack as desired
- Lunch prep
- Montessori work time
* Specialists day and Library time vary.